A post to clarify the requirements for the UK GCSE Mathematics specification.
- You should make accurate drawings of triangles and other 2D shapes using a ruler and a protractor
- make an accurate scale drawing from a sketch, diagram or description
- construct a triangle
- construct an equilateral triangle with a given side or given side length
- use a straight edge and a pair of compasses to do standard constructions
For constructing triangles, have a look at these step by step instructions from BBC Bitesize.
The following demonstrations show how to use a straight edge and a pair of compasses to do standard constructions.
On Corbett Maths you will find clear demonstrations and also practice questions on constructions.
Look at this alphabetical list of contents, you will find several several items under Constructions. There are videos and also clearly worked answers to practice questions. Answers are all provided.
- perpendicular bisector of a line segment
- constructing a perpendicular to a given line from a given point
- constructing a perpendicular to a given line at a given point
- bisecting a given angle
Note that all these Math Open Reference demonstrations are available as a printable atep by step instruction sheet, see for example the guide to bisecting an angle.